Fly Tying For Opening Day 2015!

  Living in the northern half of Alberta, for a fly fisherman, there are two seasons, Fly Fishing and Fly Tying. Right now I am stuck in the "Fly Tying" season, a.k.a WINTER! Not that I don't enjoy fly tying, I don't enjoy the six months of winter. I have produced some new flies, just I can't wait to chuck this year as the cabin fever is starting to set in.

  The majority of Alberta lakes open every Victoria Day long weekend in May. That being said, it's 70ish days and counting for the Pike and Walleye season to open and I'm stoked to get out there. Hungry post spawn Pike in shallow water with a surface fly equals smiles and laughter for days on end. My local haunt, Buck Lake, doesn't produce the largest of fish but I will take what it produces any day of the week. Either trolling a deep water fly for Walleye or casting for Pike when I am out on Buck I am in my happy place.

Once the spring run off has passed, the Alberta trout streams of the eastern slopes open mid June. With water levels an flow rates quite high in the early part of the season, the true river fishing doesn't kick in until July. This is the perfect time to fly fish the smaller spring fed creeks for trout while your waiting for the main rivers & tributaries to ripen up. Even the odd still water lake / stocked pond are fun to seek out early in the season. I am not a still water trout guy yet, but this season I am up to the task in learning something new. My father in law George has made it his mission this year to learn about chronomids and the approach in fishing them in lakes. So I will tag along and learn and absorb what he has learnt and poach a few flies off of him also, ha ha.

The following pictures layout what flies I have produced for the 2015 season. Now if the weather would only smarten up and stay above freezing until November that would be an added bonus.


TROUT / PIKE FLY PATTERNS 2015:

Soft Hackle Midge Nymph Variant 

Soft Hackle Nymph

Jig Head Nymphs


Yellow Water Boatman

Gloden Stone Fly

Stimulator Dry Fly

Hares Ear Nymphs

Leaches

Nymphs With Bug Collars
















































































Poppers

Bait Fish With Swimming Lip

Zonkers

Standard Bait Fish Pattern

Other Streamer Designs

Articulated Streamer Under UV Lamp

Single Articulated Stream

Pike Fly Box With Room For A Few More 































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arizona Fly Fishing - Lees Ferry - The Colorado River - And An Astronaut?

Rain - Pain - GAINS

2019 Fishing Season Review