The Big Spring 20's!


   The year 2014 came in with a bit of concern as I was in hospital for the month of February with a serious blood infection.  Once released from hospital, I battled through the infection at home for an additional six weeks.  Finally getting the "All Clear" from the doctor's on my birthday at the end of March. The following weekend, my father in law decided it would be a good idea, as a mental health break, to go chase some early season Brown Trout in the snow.  So off we went, one old guy and a sickly dude, on a mission to find a snowy Brown Trout. 

"Stauffer Creek" April 2014
   Here is a little back story leading up to the events of April 2014. One of my favoured early season creeks to fish is the infamous "Stauffer Creek" aka The North Raven River, here in Alberta.  This little creek has won the hearts and minds of some famous writers over the years, as highlighted in Barry Mitchell's book "Alberta's Trout Highway." Word of mouth and reading about "Stauffer" has peaked the interest of many Albertans to go try their luck in getting a "Stauffer Brown."  Most anglers after fishing Stauffer agree that this little spring fed creek is quite beautiful, as Barry lays out in his book, but end up getting frustrated by the skunking they likely go home with.  Or they only catch one small Brown and turn their noses up at the thought of going back.  I have no issue with their lack of return as it benefits those of us who cherish this creek as a bit of a hidden gem for true Alberta Browns.  

  While fishing Stauffer over the past two years I have come to notice that this creek is not all about the numbers game, it's all about the quality of the catch. The first time I fished Stauffer I caught four little Brown Trout no bigger than 6-10." I was so jacked to fish new water and catch my first Alberta Brown Trout I could care less what size they were. The second time out, early June 2013, I caught only two Browns but they were exponentially larger 12-14" in length.  This pleased me to see that there was a size range on this creek after hearing about it through several sources. The next challenge was to seek out the rumoured 20" Brown that calls Stauffer Creek its home.

First Ever Stauffer Brown, 2013







Second Brown, Getting Bigger!
14" Stauffer Brown, June 2013



























First Fly Patterns
 Let's now flash forward to my time off at home in March.  Since I had nothing but time on my hands and my father in law, I'm sure had enough of me filling my fly box with his hand tied flies. It was time for me to learn the fly tying trade.  First fly patterns I was shown were a foam beetle, a pheasant tail, and a hares ear nymph. Clearly from the photo I am a master fly tier right out of the chute, ha ha. All joking aside, the flies I do tie up catch fish and in the end that's all that matters.

 The pattern I really longed to tie up was my father in laws own secret version of a prince nymph. That special nymph pattern, I like to refer to as the "George's Prince," I had to earn. And earn it by tying multiple different fly patterns and sizes. For example, S.A. Hopper, Wolley Buggers and some Elk Hair Caddis fly patterns. Eventually I got his seal of approval and finally got the cherished "George's Prince" nymph pattern.


The "George's Prince" 
Fist Work Bench Setup

  Sorry but I can't give up any secrets surrounding the "George's Prince" other than the small photo above left.  It took me about five attempts to master the soft hackle, there I go giving away a secret, and the way to wrap it in correctly.  However, all of the first generations I tied up all ended up becoming a snack for a trout this summer so I must have done something right.  I now know the feeling of self accomplishment of landing a fish on the fly that you tied up only mere hours before presenting it to a fish as his snack.  The rush you get and the smile it puts of your face is well worth the hours put in on the bench tying flies to fill your fly box for the season.


The Wet Side Of My Fly Box

  With an moderately full fly box, it was finally time to test these self tied flies on some real fish. Being that it's early April, in Alberta, not much dry fly action is to be had, so it's full on nymph mode. I tied on my strike indicator and fashioned a "George's Prince" to the end of my 7 - 1/2' tapered fluorocarbon leader and started to work the inside seam of the pool.  Three casts in and "WHACK!" I'm on to what I know is a big fish.  I holler out, "Big Fish!" My father in law who was just about to wet his line runs over and detaches the net from my vest, hunches over the creek bank for his shot at scooping up the fish.  This fish is smart and must have been caught in the past as it knew exactly where to go to try and break free, the under cut bank right at my feet. I do my best to keep the fish away from the bank and force him to tire out in the main body of the pool.  After a good five minute fight I was able to bring the fish to the surface where my father in law quickly scooped the fish into the net.  We hooted and hollered like a couple of young school boys on the playground.  Snapped a few quick pictures of the beast and let him go to fight another day. This big brown topped the 20" mark and I'm pretty sure so did the smiles on our two faces. We both required a short break, even though we just started fishing, to calm our nerves and reflect on what actually just happened. That was the only fish we caught all day and seven months later it still brings a smile to both our faces when either my father in law or I bring up the events of that April morning.


A Man, A Creek & A Fish Like No Other, 20" Stauffer Creek Brown Trout.

Easter Brown Released
  If that wasn't sweet enough, one week later, alone, on that same river I managed to land another 20" Stauffer Brown.  To say I was "Lucky" is an understatement. More like my fish luck was at an all time high and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time with fish on the take.  Catching my second 20" Stauffer Brown on back to back weeks made having to trudge through waist deep snow more than worth it. Upon the release, of what I now call the Easter Brown, I went home. As I knew it just couldn't get any better than this. Once I got back to the cabin my father in law asked me how it went and I showed him the pictures. All he could do is pour me a shot of whiskey with a smile on his face and say, "Kev, you've done something most fly fishermen on Stauffer will never accomplish and I'm extremely happy for you!" In five months I will be on a quest to repeat this quest for a snowy "Stauffer Brown," so maybe I will see you out on your quest, tight lines and bent rods to all!    
Easter Brown In The Net





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arizona Fly Fishing - Lees Ferry - The Colorado River - And An Astronaut?

Rain - Pain - GAINS

2019 Fishing Season Review