A NEW SEASON BEGINS

  With another fly fishing season about to open, it's time for some of us April "Fools" to hit the water for the first time since putting the gear away for winter. In preparation of my first trip I dug out the gear bag and gave my kit a once over. Found some interesting artifacts from the last trip out. Included in these fair finds was a rather unsightly pair of socks, still damp from September 2016. Good thing they weren't my lucky socks as they went straight to the trash! Along with the socks, there were a few fly's tangled in a web of tipit and lies, provoking a response of (Insert Curse Words Here). Lesson learned for end of this season? Only time will tell, but likely not ha!

  Next up in the process, restock a rather sad looking nymph / wet fly box. Some good early season fly patterns I gravitate to are, San Juan Worms, Prince variations and small bait fish streamers like a Bugger / Zonker. Plus a few experimental, like the "MOP" fly, literally a piece of dust mop on a hook, and is creating a stir on the web. So, I am a sucker and will try or tie anything once. Below are some examples of my work to date for the coming season.





"MOP" FLY

  Early season Brown Trout will be what I will be hoping to land but not the purpose. This trip is more of a soul cleansing, winter shedding, ritual I've become accustomed to the past five years. If you've read any of my previous post you'll know of where I will be so I'm not going to get into location specifics. But this small little creek holds a magical place in my heart regardless of fish count and I am in awe of it's beauty every time I go back.

  I will report back with my accounts of the trip so keep any eye out for, April 1st, 2017 - A "Fools" Tale, post to come. Until then, may your flies all have a drag free drift and your 2017 season be filled with 20" trout!

Opening Day - A "Fools" Tale

  Here in Alberta we have three season openers for Fly Fishing. April first being the start of it all for some trout creeks, followed by lakes in May and the remainder of the trout streams open post mountain run off second week of June. Yes, there are some that will tell you there are creeks and rivers open all year and they are correct. However the real fishing season doesn't kick off until April "Fools" day.

  My father in law, George, and I played the role of the "Fool" and made our way to central Alberta to have our first trip of the 2017 season. Considering the river was cold, a bit high and tea stained from the ground water run off, we had a productive day. We netted two fish and only fished for two and a half hours, plus we had to fish behind two groups. Oh and I shut the old man out, quite proud of that as George is great fisherman who normally teaches me a lesson with no effort.

 Can't wait to see what the next trip out will bring and I will report back as I go out this year so stay tuned!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arizona Fly Fishing - Lees Ferry - The Colorado River - And An Astronaut?

Rain - Pain - GAINS

2019 Fishing Season Review