Two Fish One Cast - A True Story!

A Man Walks Through Your River Shot, #socialmediageorge 
  With the family cabin renovations wrapping up, it was time to get out there to help with final set up. So August long weekend we loaded up the SUV and were off. Plus it was my son Griffin's first trip out to the cabin. Quite a first trip for 2015 for the wife and I, with a five month old, a dog and a cabin on the verge of renovation completion. Oh and "Grumpa" George there to be a pest for Gram B. With our chores list completed for the day and Griffin in bed it was time for "Grumpa" and I to chase some Pike & Walleye on the fly and finally put the flies I tied in the winter to the test.

  Boat loaded and fly rods strung we hit the water with a bone to pick with some fish. That night we only managed to land the one Walleye but it felt good to be back out on Buck Lake regardless of the fish count. The following evening I decided not to bring a camera in the boat, being a bit superstitious and the two of us managed to catch & release eight decent Pike. George even had a Pike of about 30" follow one hooked on his line right to the boat. It would've been a glorious sight to have seen that big Pike attack another just as it was about to be netted. But it was not to be, so who knows what might happen in the adventures out on Buck the next time we hit the water.

  The following Saturday George and I went chasing Cut Throat Trout as I had yet to do that this summer. We went to one of our favourite spots on the Ram River and were one of the first groups to hit the water. Normally in Alberta you can go fly fishing and maybe run into a couple guys fishing but normally it's quite. This weekend the masses were out in full force. I watched two groups of three guys cut a head of us and a group follow in behind. Not that I care, but I did keep an eye on how they were doing in comparison to our success rate. All I have to say in that matter is we did very well and they did what they did.

  River side I set up my 4wt with a "Hopper Dropper" tandem fly rig and start working the pool. On my fifth cast a nice trout about 14" comes up and whacks the hopper. I am on, yet something is not quite right. I see a flash from below my hooked fish and I yell over to George, "I May Need Your Help!" To which George responded, "With What?" "I'm not sure but I think there are two fish on my line and not sure I can land them on my own," I follow up with. George unhooks my net and says, in a joking tone, "Ya Sure Do...You Prick!" We have a good laugh as the fish are netted, quick photo and released. That was the first time in my fishing career that I bagged two at once so I was pumped. Little did I know I would get the two fish curse until it was lifted just after the noon hour when I got into a nice 17" fish. By this point George had about ten fish and I was just releasing my third. But I didn't care, he didn't get two at once ha ha!

  The remainder of the day we chased trout up and back down the river netting and releasing about twenty or so fish so.  All in all a good day to be had and for those trout we didn't land, I will be thinking of them until the next time I am out on that part of the river!

First Walleye On The Fly For 2015

2015 Pike & Walleye Fly Selection









Two Fish One Cast!
A Real "Hopper Dropper" Combo

Fun With 4wt Rod & Spunky Cut Throat Trout


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arizona Fly Fishing - Lees Ferry - The Colorado River - And An Astronaut?

Rain - Pain - GAINS

2019 Fishing Season Review