Balanced Leeches & Sun Burnt Faces

Dolberg Lake, Alberta Canada
 I would consider my father in law George and I rookies when it comes to still water fly fishing. We've dabbled in these waters but normally stalk the mountain streams for trout. So we booked a trip with local guide Phil Rowley to learn a new skill along with the hopes of catching a fish or two along the way. Phil is quite the accomplished pro and great guy to hang out on the lake with also. I highly recommend you look him up if you're interested in learning from one of the best.

 Phil guided us out to one of his favourite rainbow trout lakes in Alberta, Dolberg Lake. This lake is located just over an hours drive north west of the city of Edmonton, just west of the town of Barrhead. It's not the biggest body of water but I've heard tales of this lake holding fish up to eight pounds, so I was cautiously optimistic. Plus with the weather being in the high twenties all week I suspected a slow day out on the water. We were not so lucky in getting one of these fabled giants but we managed a couple decent fish, as shown in the pictures below. Sorry George I should have been more on the ball and got a picture of your fish too, my bad!

 The set up of the day consisted of two flies, a chronomid and a balanced leech. Both tied onto a RIO Products indicator leader, 10' 4x, with a quick release indicator at the top. Once your rigged up you cast the flies out maybe 20-25 feet and let the current of the lake and the wind drift your fly around, preferably with the wind at your back. All the while watching your indicator for hits and takes from fish. Watching an indicator just drift around is somewhat of a snore and something I am not familiar with, coming from river fishing. I have fished an indicator set up in a river, however you're in constant motion and there is no time to get distracted. But this lake method and with my attention span being that of a five year old, with in ten minutes of not getting a take my mind starts to wander. Hence why the fist five times I had a take I missed the fish and ended up with being laughed at by George.

 With still no fish in the boat and myself looking like a dope, for at least not putting a few fish in the boat, it was time for us humans to feed. On the menu, home made sandwiches, chips, pepperoni sticks, cold drinks and these amazing white chocolate cookie squares kindly prepared by Phil's wife. Really who could complain? Maybe an ice cold beer but that would have to wait until we were home. As I was filling my mouth with one of those cookie squares, I was onto a fish! She wasn't the biggest, 12" range, nor did she fight the hardest, but we got the "Skunk" out of the boat. The next hour was a frantic flush of action, more missed fish on my behalf, and only one more landed. As quickly as they came the fish were gone. So we moved one last time to finish out the afternoon.

 Since I was getting bored of the indicator fishing, I set up my sinking line and tied on a boobie fly. While I was messing with that, George kept plugging away on the old indicator rig. That's when I heard this moan come from the front of the boat. A low muffled and slightly deflated relief, "Finally," came out of George. Now both of us had fish and the trip was complete. I was still up on George 2-1, but who's counting...insert smug face photo here. All kidding aside we were winding down our day and Phil, who had been so kind to watch my indicator while I messed with the boobie. Shouts out, "You're On Kev" and we switch rods so I could play out the fish. Now I know from the last two fish this one is a bit better size as she's not so willing to come to the boat. A quick scoop of the net and it was all over. We couldn't have ended the day any sweeter. This little hen rainbow trout was only about 16" but her markings were off the charts good!

 Thanks again for the day out Phil and thanks George entertaining us with lines like, "Corn Back Rattler," and letting me drag you out on these wacky adventures we have every summer. Can't wait to see how the rest of the year plays out as this was a fun kick off to the 2015 season.

First Ever Rainbow From Dolberg Lake

George a.k.a. "The Corn Back Rattler" Enjoying The View

Catch.....





....And Release

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arizona Fly Fishing - Lees Ferry - The Colorado River - And An Astronaut?

Rain - Pain - GAINS

2019 Fishing Season Review